Document templates allow you to completely customise the look and formatting of the following documents in WorkGuru:
- Stock Sales
- Purchase Orders
- Project Groups
- Credit Notes
- Production Jobs
They are built in the Microsoft Word format using WorkGuru's MergeField library. When an appropriate WorkGuru MergeField is added to the document, it will print the associated field data from the WorkGuru source. Eg [ProjectNumber], [InvoiceNumber]. The formatting of the MergeField is controlled by MS Word (pages, layout, format, font, text size, headers, footers etc).
These templates are available in a dropdown when printing or emailing from the appropriate document source.
Document template rules:
- Layout and formatting - Layout and formatting is all controlled by Word. If you need a field a bold or italics or a different font, size, colour, etc, just format the WorkGuru merge field (including the square brackets) the way you want the output text to look like.
- Word Version - Ensure the Word document is NOT saved in the 2007-2013 Word document format. This is not compatible with WorkGuru's PDF converter and will cause an error. Save in the current Word format (.docx) with the compatibility checkbox NOT selected.
- All images must be inline with text for the PDF converter to pick up. Especially when placed within tables.
- Images need to be in either the JPG or PNG format to be picked up by the PDF converter correctly. Word drawings, word art etc are not compatible.
- Tables - Data that is displayed in table format, must have the correct alt-text entered in the table's properties to display correctly.
What to do if, on the printed PDF:
- The merge field is blank - This indicates the field does not have any data to print. Edit the source document and populate the relevant field for the document template to display.
- The merge field is displaying in full (with the square brackets)- This indicates either:
- There is a typo in the merge field text.
- The merge field is not compatible with that document template type. Eg: Invoice number cannot be displayed on a Quote template as it doesn't exist at the quote stage.
- Tables not displaying - Tables are designed to be hidden if there is no data provided to the document when printed. If the table is expected to display date and isn't, ensure that the correct table description is set in the table's properties correctly. Note - depending on the layout of the word document, a table that can't display correctly may also prevent non-table information from displaying on the template as well.